The weather over the last few days has been just gorgeous, so I’ve been spending a lot of time in the park with my puppy Basel and his best friend Buster. So this project is a nice and simple one that I completed while watching TV one night. But I think it is so cute and just perfect for craft shows, so I can’t wait to make some more!
My parents are moving, and so all of our family’s unnecessary junk is coming out of the woodworks. Including my dad’s collection of random paperback books that he read once and doesn’t need to see again. Recently I feel like I’ve been seeing so many projects around the cyber universe that are made with book pages, and I really wanted to try some of my own. Especially this project. Not only is it adorable but it is so functional too! If you couldn’t tell, its a book that has been folded and made into a business card holder. It even works for post cards too!
As I said, this project was really easy. You simply start folding the pages of a book in half, and you keep folding until you have a nice open fan. My book was approximately 400 pages long, and I didn’t think I would need that many. I ended up using 300 pages, before cutting the back section off. I probably could have just kept folding, but I figured this way I would have another smaller piece of book to work with. In retrospect it might have been better if I had just split the book in half from the start, and then could have made two complete fans. But you live and learn.
I’m also not sure how she got her spine to lay flat, mine curved with the arc of my pages, but maybe that’s because I was using a much bigger book. I have actually wondered what would have happened if I glued my book cover flat before I began folding. Maybe I’ll try that technique for the next one I make. I know my pages weren’t always exactly lined up with each other, but once the whole thing is together you don’t really notice.
I also didn’t have any nice wood for the base, so I took some scrap cardboard (I happened to have a big Priority Mail box that had arrived in the mail earlier that day) and I cut it down to size, glued two pieces together for extra strength, and then covered the edges with additional pieces of book page. Once the fan is glued down you barely notice the base, but it makes the whole piece sturdier and gives it a nice completed look.
This project was loads of fun, but I still have a whole bag of other books so I can’t wait to see what other projects I can come up with. Stay tuned, hopefully I’ll be posting some updates with other book projects soon!