So this latest project is a bit of a revisit of sorts from past projects, because I used the same white drinking straws as Project 5, and the same Ikea shade as Project 23. Together they make a pretty sweet hanging chandelier, don’t you think?!!
The beauty of this simple Ikea Lobbo shade, is that it comes as a big flat piece of plastic and then you notch the ends together to make a circle. This means that I could work on it flat, which made it a WHOLE LOT easier to glue on the straws. (Trust me, I started with it round, and changed my tactic after a painstaking 4 rows of straws. This way is a LOT easier.) I actually also simplified my tactics after my first attempt too. Originally I had the idea of making all the straws even at the top and the bottom, but because the shade was deeper top to bottom than my straws were long, I needed two pieces of straw. And I didn’t want to have the cut lines all at the same point so I was individually sizing each strip. It took a while. So, when I decided to change tactics I changed concepts too, going with this more freeform waterfall look instead. This time I used two uncut straws for each line, simply varying where they were attached to the actual shade.
Overall, I’m happy with the results. I love the bottom part, but I’m a bit unsure about the strong band in the middle, from the original drum shade blocking the light. Is the line too stark? I’d love some opinions from readers. My options would mainly be gluing on another layer of straws, but I was thinking that I could either try a layer inside the shade, or I could do another layer on the outside in some fashion, but I don’t know… Mostly because its additional work, but also I love the simple tube shape the exterior takes. Of course if I glued the straws on the inside I wouldn’t mess that up, but I just don’t know. Is it pushing the point too much? Is the horizontal band really that terrible? Thoughts??
I have a small version of the Lobbo, and I’m thinking of trying another version but this time, maybe cutting the shade into smaller strips. I was thinking, if I glued the straws in place on the top piece (the piece that has the holes that attach to the frame) then once the straws were in place I could glue on the other strips of the shade, to give a stripe-y look. It could look cool, it could look messed up. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see! I am hopeful that because the shade is so much smaller, I can more easily (and with less work) play around with the look, such as multiple layers of straws etc. I also had an idea to sew a layer of straws on the bottom, that can hang free for a more varied look. But that might be too much work, no matter how small the shade!
I also had a few issues with photographing it turned off, the photos seemed sort of blurred. So I’ll try again tomorrow (assuming it isn’t gray and rainy as the weather report suggests) so hopefully I’ll have some better photos to post soon.
And I will be back later this week with another 30x30x3 project, so ciao until then! Allison